Monday, August 1, 2011

for the love of creating

..

As I am sure it is quite clear, I really like to make things.

So I have put some of the things I really like to make into a little shop on Etsy.


I have considered doing this for several years now. And over the summer I have been doing a bit of creating here and there with ideas of this shop in my mind.

And then summer started passing, and a few weeks ago I decided that I needed to stop putting this off and really commit to it. So I did.

Sewing has been such a big part of my life for so long, and sewing clothing for children has always been my focus. I would love to someday have a shop full of beautiful clothing for children. For now though I had to start smaller. The shop has mostly just little handmade things, but I of course had to include a couple of pinafores :)

This pinafore above is kind of extra special. (I had Chessa try it on for some pictures. She says she loves it too much and that it has to be hers. I feel kind of sad about it. I promised I would be making her one this next week.)
So, why this one is so special... The white floral fabric is a vintage calico that I got just a while back. And about 18 years ago, when I first started sewing, I went to a little vintage fabric shop in northern CA and got another version of this exact same print, just a slightly different colorway, it was a creamier off-white. And with that fabric, combined with some light blue plaid, I made myself my very first dress.
Oh yes, it is kind of hard to be possibly parting with this pinafore.
I will definitely be saving the rest of the fabric for myself, or for my sweet Chessa.

I of course have all kinds of other things I would like to be making for the shop. But this week I will be taking time to create for my children, my most favorite kind of creating of all!


...

9 comments:

a little crafty nest said...

Dear Renee...Oh, my, I am so excited for you|!!! I just know you will sell lots of lovely things. I'm tempted to shop myself right now, but sadly will have to wait until we have more money on hand:) I love the pinafores and Chessa looks so darling in them. I know what you mean about that first dress...I feel that way, too. I hope it works well for you!
xo Jules

a little crafty nest said...

Oh by the way, I love love love that rainbow coloured pinafore especially. Soooooo beautiful! Happy sewing!
xo Jules

Linda said...

How wonderful Renee! Congratulations on opening your Etsy shop! You are so creative and I wish you all the best:)
xo xo
Linda

Mama Ash Grove said...

Dear Renee, I am so so excited for you!!!! And was looking through your shop, and it's going to help me set up mine (I've been having difficulty. . .)
HUGS <3

Mama Ash Grove said...

PS that Chessa is a darling girl, and with her bangs she looks so much like you! And Chloe is like her daddy- and you have Snow White and Rose Red for little girls. :)

Julie said...

Good for you! Here's wishing you many happy sales!

Bending Birches said...

gosh, how beautiful. I will most certainly be a customer. I just love the beautiful retro feeling of your photos...gosh, they are just fantastic and awe worthy. Are you thinking of doing any custom orders? I am really looking for some wrap skirts...hmmm?

Tonya Gunn said...

congratulations on your shop Renee!
Just let me know if you have any questions.
Beautiful work.
Warmly,
Tonya

Anonymous said...

Oh, how absolutely beautiful.
Made with great love and care, indeed.
Congratulations to you, I will definitely have a closer look when my wallet is filled up. Or at least not empty :)