Sunday, October 4, 2009

Chickens!

I made a typo in my last post.. commented on our strange desire to have chickens.. but I only wrote "chicken"! And that makes it sound like we want to eat them, which we most definitely do not! I just find myself loving all kinds of birds more and more these past few years, and that love has now extended to chickens. But if we were to have chickens we would have to eat the eggs. At least we feel we would need to, or else it would be wasteful. (We wouldn't have a rooster so there wouldn't be unborn baby chicks to consider.) The thought of eating eggs is very strange to us though. But we also have all these great self-sufficiency homesteading desires, and eggs from chickens would add to our producing as much of our own food as possible dreams. So we have these kinds of conversations sometimes now, Jason and I, and while we are having the conversations we are like, "I can't believe we are even talking this way!"

And yes, hooray, Jason is home! But I have one more quiet evening to myself cause he had to go to bed with the girls... so very tired. Me though, I'm gonna stay up much later, maybe all the way to 9:30 or so.

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend!

9 comments:

Paula J. Norcott said...

isn't it hard when your homesteading/self sufficiency ideas clash with your veganism. We have been going through the same thing for a few years now. Especially living in a such a cold climate (central Maine) where the supplements of eggs (raised by us) and/or goats milk (cheese etc) would help drastically. we have not made the jump but it is still very much on the table, so to speak. My 14 year old, PETA loving, vegan, son has a lot to say about it though.

Stacy said...

I'm glad you don't want to eat them :o) It was nice to read about your love of birds ... I feel the same.

Heather said...

I feel so similar, I could never eat them, but I would love to raise them. I keep begging my husband to help me build a large home to raise them in.

I am so glad that your hubby is home, that everyone is safe and sound and back together

* * said...

I am so very happy that your family is together once again! : ) My husband and I had a conversation today about a book I am reading about raising goats for milk and cheese... We are a vegetarian family and reading about the practice of goats/cows and taking the newborn kids/calfs from the mama's directly after birth yikes that made me very sad! Which also led into talking about self sustainable living...

Jessica said...

I'm glad your lovey is home. Now you will feel all cozy again. :)

suzanne said...

Good morning Renee

I Have been wanting to get here much earlier this week to post a comment and now find myself up at 2.30am catching up on what I have missed out. I am glad to hear Jason is back...i would also like to thank you for the creative blogger award. Your words were so very kind. Thank you. I come to your blog for my peaceful read and "up in the mountain country feeling." I too love your country creative crafting.

Have a great day!
Warm regards
Suzanne

leaningapplemama said...

hello renee...i find these convos so interesting to read about vegan homesteaders wanting to make the leap into the egg and or goats milk phase. we have a set of friends who were vegan forever make this leap recently. they came and got all of our old ladies (hens) so they would have the chickens and the occasional egg (although i think they got more than any of us figured they would:)) and therefore could ease into eating them. i think they were really happy with this set up! i haven't seen them in awhile though...but next time i do i am going to check in about it!!

it is great to hear that you and your family are back together...i hate when we are separated it feels hard to focus! thank you for you kind words on my blog...hope your day has been great...xo, pennie

Sarah said...

We want chickens too--we'd eat the eggs! However, I also would like animals on our land because I feel it would enliven our space here (although we've got bears, owls, coyotes, and other critters running about).

Kelly said...

Chickens are lovely creatures! We dream of one day having a variety of animals to car for and as Sarah mentioned they really enliven our surroundings. We love the idea of donkeys and ducks especially.