Tuesday, December 15, 2009

St. Lucia!

It was magical... hearing our daughter's footsteps upstairs, knowing that this was the special moment she had been waiting for, wondering if she would really light the candle all by herself... must have drifted back to sleep, suddenly the door opened, and the most lovely Lucia child greeted us.

She led us upstairs by candlelight, our tea was waiting at the table... it was 5:30 in the morning!!! She told us that the first time she woke up and checked the time it was 4:30! Thank goodness she decided that was a bit too early. It was snowing, we could tell even in the darkness, as we waited (a long time) for the sun to show its light. A wonderful way to start our day.

We were not able to start making the crown until Saturday evening! So while it may not be perfect, I am fairly impressed that it got done at all. And Chloe says it is her most favorite thing in our house, so at least she was pleased!

We did have our quiet Sunday evening Advent celebration too. This weeks story was the festival of animals. But we did not add anything to our nature table... we took it apart instead, along with most of the rest of our house. We are painting. You are more than welcome to consider us crazy for painting just 10 days before Christmas, but this is the soonest we have had any spare time. Everything should be back in order in a day or so. Hopefully!

(I am going to try to check in tomorrow to share a quick peek of my current embroidery project.)

11 comments:

Linda said...

How wonderful Renee, the crown you made is amazing:)

Sally said...

yes, indeed the crown is amazing! Is this a design of your own, or can we be privy to the instructions, LOL? (is it obvious we've never felted anything?)

I smiled just reading this ...off to tell my daughter about it!

Tan Family said...

Oh, this crown is really beautiful. How cute that she was up at 4:30am! I think that painting sounds wonderful. Starting the new year with a fresh coat of paint is terrific!

Tonya Gunn said...

Hi Renee,
How beautiful! What a wondrous celebration.

Renee, could you please email me your mailing address as I have a wee little something to mail you.
Naturalearthfarm@netzero.net
Warm wishes.

suzanne said...

Hello Renee

I think you have the most beautiful St.Lucia. I am sure she felt very special. I love to celebrate festivals and traditions with my family. It brings unity . I think the St Lucia crown is perfect.

Have a great day
Warm regards
Suzanne

the nest said...

You made such a beautiful crown! Your daughter looks so proud and graceful. I wonder what time she'll wake up on Christmas Day?! ;)

sarah said...

This is very sweet and special. What a loving daughter you have..the apple must not fall far from the tree.

momma rae said...

how gorgeous your sweet chloe is!!! your crown turned out wonderful. we too did not start ours until saturday eve and it did not turn out as nice. alas, we will try again next year!

FrontierDreams said...

Oh my goodness! That is so sweet beyond words!!I can't wait for K to be a bit older to do this!! :)

Carin said...

Just found my way over from the Wellness Tree. This is just the cutest. I love seeing how others vcelebrate St Lucia Day!

farmama sara said...

Hi Renee,
Chloe looks so beautiful in her St. Lucia crown and gown! How exciting for her! Your crown came out very beautiful indeed!
I hope you are all well, and happy solstice to you all!
love,
sara