Tuesday, May 11, 2010

work in progress - sewing challenge

I find myself drawn to fabrics that remind me of when I was little... a favorite dress I had, a curtain, a bedspread. The fabrics I am sewing with now are some of those fabrics. Especially the red one. It is a fabric that I would save nearly forever waiting for just the right thing to use it on. But I didn't have to wait that long, because this fabric is just right for Chloe, and I am making her a new summer top from it.

Several things are motivating me to get this done... One, the fabric, of course. Two, the fun sewing challenge, and three... well, I was planning on making the same top for Chessa, and I won't know what size I want to make until I finish this first one. Even though now I think I will be making her a dress instead, still similar style though, and this dress will be her birthday dress, which is in less than two weeks now, so better go get back to sewing!

10 comments:

Ariella said...

looks very pretty! can't wait to see the final product!

Marilyn in NM said...

I love the fabric! I've been knitting so much that I just haven't had time to sew but you definitely inspire me.
Hugs,
Marilyn in Aztec

Tonya Gunn said...

Dear Renee,
I also appreciate the simpler fabric, with a bit of old fashioned look - I am always on the look out for more vintage calicoes.
Thank you so much for the beautiful square! I put my vase of mothers day flowers on it and it will be used often as a centerpiece, or hot pad.
Warm wishes,
Tonya

kendra said...

oh, those are so cute together! and how cute will two be on two girlies!

nocton4 said...

wonderful fabric x

Mama Ash Grove said...

I feel the same way: I have a piece of red calico that reminds me of a dress I had while a little girl- it actually looks very similar to the red trim you are using. I still do not know what to make with it and am sort of hoarding it. It's not quite enough for a dress for Ella.

Sara said...

Very pretty fabric!

suzanne said...

Good morning Renee~

You have just got me thinking that I need to start making something for my girls. Everytime I visit, you are sewing up a storm. I love the fabric and it too reminds me of my youth. I am off to scratch through my stash.

A happy weekend to you..I loved seeing your forest walk too

Suzanne
X

tree said...

i have a blog award for you on my blog! Stop by and pick it up! :)

~tree

Nicola said...

Sweet sweet dress.LOVE the red. And I completely understand the birthday/age freak out! Happy birthday to her!
Nicola